An open MRI is great for people who are claustrophobic. It uses magnets to take the images of the inside of your body. An open MRI uses a magnet at the top and bottom. It’s open on all four sides. It allows patients more space and patients of all shapes and sizes to use the MRI to diagnose their problems. Although it can take images of certain areas of the body, it does not cover all areas and the image quality is of lesser quality since it is not as strong as that of a closed MRI.
It is best to talk to your doctor about any concerns you may be having. Research before you have your MRI the types of machines you can use. Check the strength of an open MRI machines at the facility where you will have your test done.
If you suffer from anxiety, there are things you can do to cope with anxiety when you go for your test:
1. Ask a doctor if you can take an anti-anxiety medicine or sedative. It can really help you with fears and claustrophobia.
2. Wear comfortable clothes.
3. The machines are noisy but you can ask for earplugs.
4. Practice relaxation techniques while you’re in the machine. Meditate or breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.
5. Take someone you are close to like a relative or a friend. If you decide to take a sedative, you will need to have someone there to drive you.
It’s important to remember that MRI Imaging provides a unique look into the inside of your body and has become an essential instrument of modern medical imaging and disease diagnosis. In several instances, MRI’s provide important diagnostic information you can’t obtain with different imaging studies and in a lot of cases it leads to detecting a disease early and getting the correct treatment of it.
At South Florida Imaging, we have a completely open MRI machine. Visit our Boca Raton location. Call us today to schedule an appointment (561) 353-3500.